Lumbar Support/Corset Type Lumbar Sacral Orthosis Instructions
Learn more about how to use your Lumbar Support/Corset Type Lumbar Sacral Orthosis (LSO).
How to Put on Your LSO
Depending on the type of LSO, you may have the following types of closures:
- Velcro overlap
Follow instructions below for putting on your LSO:
- Put on a comfortably fitting cotton t-shirt.
- Loosen all straps.
- Center brace on body so the sides are lined up on your hips, and the stays (if applicable) are on either side of the spine.
- If your brace has a hook-and-eye closure, fasten the front of brace from the bottom up, pulling all straps tight for snugness.
- If your brace has a Velcro overlap closure, make sure front of brace is low on belly and back is centered on the small of your back. Fasten all Velcro straps.
- Check for snugness on all straps.
This brace is to be worn per physician’s orders. If any discomfort is felt and results in redness, bruising, or blistering, discontinue the use of the brace and contact your Ability orthotist to schedule an appointment for an adjustment.
Orthotic Device Cleaning and Maintenance
The best way to clean the LSO is to spot clean or hand wash with the removal of any added hard panels. DO NOT use direct heat or a dryer to dry brace.
If the Velcro is not sticking well on the brace, check for lint build-up on the Velcro and remove it.
Take the following precautions with your LSO:
- If you experience pain or discomfort, the brace may be too loose, too low, or too high and may need to
- If brace is rotating on your body, it may need to be tightened.
- A t-shirt should be worn at ALL times with this brace.
- If there are any other areas of concerns, please call your Ability office.