Eric Shoemaker, MS, CPO
Certified Prosthetist Orthotist
Eric Shoemaker, MS, CPO, is an American Board for Certification (ABC) certified prosthetist and orthotist. His interest in prosthetics and orthotics dates to his high school years when he was prescribed foot orthoses following a sports injury. Eric soon found that this career was the right choice for him, as it allowed him to work with his hands and interact with patients and other health care professionals at the same time.
After graduating as an orthotic technician in 1993, Eric worked as an orthotic fitter in Philadelphia, PA before returning to school to pursue his bachelor’s degree in prosthetics and orthotics. He then began a two-year residency at the University of Rochester Medical Center where he honed his skills on a diverse and complicated patient population, dealing in both acute and chronic care.
Eric moved on to earn his ABC certification in prosthetics and orthotics. He was soon promoted to the position of clinical coordinator, supervising a staff of 10 clinicians. During this time he furthered his education, graduating in 2012 with his Master of Science in medical management.
In addition to his clinical responsibilities, Eric is the regional director for Ability Prosthetics and Orthotics. He specializes in advanced upper extremity prosthetics, as well as partial hands and fingers. He also specializes in advanced lower extremity prosthetic socket designs and complex pediatric orthotic and prosthetic cases.
Accomplishments & Qualifications
- ABC Certified Prosthetist and Orthotist
- Bachelor’s degree in Prosthetics and Orthotics from University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
- Master of Science in Medical Management from the University of Rochester’s Simon School of Business
- Member of the Association of Children’s Prosthetic-Orthotic Clinics, American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists (AAOP), and American Orthotic & Prosthetic Association
- Certified in all major advanced device technologies including C-Leg 4, X3 Knee, Kinnex foot, iLimb, Bebionic, MyoPro, and WalkAide