CAM Walker Boot Device Instructions
Learn more about how to use your CAM Walker Boot Device.
How to Put on Your CAM Walker Boot Device
- Apply a long sock on the foot needing the boot.
- Loosen all Velcro straps and open foam liner.
- Sit with knee bent to 90º and slide foot into the foam liner. Make sure heel is all the way back and foot is fully seated in the liner.
- Close liner snugly around shin and foot.
- Beginning with the foot, secure the Velcro straps followed by the Velcro straps on the shin. Make sure to pull all the Velcro straps snug.
If CAM Walker is an Aircast or Bledsoe, then add air by using the hand bulb provided onto valve until ankle feels a little pressure.
Depending on the reason for using the CAM Walker Boot, the wearing schedule can vary. Follow the doctor’s guidelines.
If any redness, bruising, or blistering occurs and doesn’t disappear within 20 minutes, do not put the brace back on. Please contact your Ability orthotist to schedule an appointment for an adjustment.
Orthotic Device Cleaning and Maintenance
The foam liner can be washed by hand in cold water with a mild detergent and allowed to drip dry. The walker can be wiped with a damp cloth.
If the Velcro is not sticking well on the brace, check for lint build-up on the Velcro and remove it.
Take the following precautions with your CAM Walker Boot Device:
- Be aware that volume changes in the body can affect how the boot will fit.
- Do NOT ever sleep in the boot, unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Be aware the boot has a sole attached. Be sure to choose a shoe that allows you to feel stable when walking.