Foot Orthotics (FO): Shoe Inserts Instructions
Learn more about how to use your Foot Orthotics (FO): Shoe Inserts.
How to Put in Your Shoe Inserts
Note: these steps may have already been done in your Ability office.
- Check if the insole of the shoe has been removed to accommodate for the foot orthotics or shoe inserts.
- Slide insert into shoe, making sure it fits in the shoe all the way to the front and push flat at the heel.
- Slide foot into shoe, making sure not to crush the back of the shoe.
- Fasten shoes.
Just like a new pair of shoes, your inserts have a breaking-in period. Use the following guidelines to allow the body to adapt to the brace gradually.
Day 1: Only use the inserts for one hour.
Day 2: Use the inserts for two hours, one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon.
Day 3: Use the inserts for four hours, two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon.
Day 4: Use the inserts for six hours, three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon.
Day 5: Use the inserts for eight hours, four hours in the morning and four hours in the afternoon.
Continue to use the inserts as prescribed by your orthotist for full day use.
There may be some slight redness on the instep, under the ball of the foot or on the sides of the little toe or big toe. If redness doesn’t disappear within 20 minutes, discontinue the use of the inserts and please contact your Ability orthotist to schedule an appointment for an adjustment.
Orthotic Device Cleaning and Maintenance
- Shoe inserts are difficult to clean. Do NOT immerse in water, as this may harm the inserts.
- Remember to keep inserts away from excessive heat as this may cause damage to the insert.
Take the following precautions with your Foot Orthotics (FO): Shoe Inserts:
- Do not overuse the inserts during the initial wearing phase. This can cause skin irritation and blisters.
- Be aware if you change shoes, the inserts may not fit.
- Always use your insert with shoes with backs.