Custom Thoracic-Lumbar-Sacral Orthosis Instructions
Learn more about how to use your Custom Thoracic-Lumbar-Sacral Orthosis (TLSO).
How to Put on Your TLSO
- Put on a comfortably fitting cotton t-shirt.
- Lie on side. Place back piece of brace against the back and slide the sides under the side of body.
- Make sure waist indentations are in the proper position on both sides.
- Roll onto back and realign back of brace because it may have shifted during the roll.
- Apply front part of brace, overlapping the back section.
- Start in the middle of straps to assure alignment of brace is correct.
- Tighten all straps to the marks indicated on straps. Snugness of brace is very important to allow for proper healing.
This brace is to be worn per physician’s orders. Please contact your Ability orthotist to schedule an appointment for an adjustment if any discomfort is felt and results in redness, bruising, or blistering.
Orthotic Device Cleaning and Maintenance
The best way to clean the TLSO is to spray rubbing alcohol on the inside and out, and wipe down with a dry cloth. This will remove any body oils and residue. Do not immerse in water. This will ruin the brace and straps.
If the Velcro is not sticking well on the brace, check for lint build-up on the Velcro and remove it.
Take the following precautions with your TLSO:
- If pain or discomfort is experienced under the arms, brace may be too loose and may need to be repositioned.
- A t-shirt should be worn at ALL times with this brace.
- Soft chairs may be uncomfortable to sit in. Try to sit as much up right as possible. This will decrease pressure felt on chest or stomach from brace.
- If there are any other areas of concerns, please call your Ability office.